Friday, May 2, 2014

End of week round up

 Last week I told you about seeing the Van Gogh Sunflowers  and how I was inspired by them. Well we  had no sunflowers so the nearest thing we had was some tulips my sister bought me for my birthday.  So I did a sketch and I was going to try and paint it using thick paint and using very loose techniques.


Well as it happens fate gave me a helping hand.  On Bank holiday Monday, when sorting the loft out ( well trying to) I hurt my wrist, I thought it was nothing serious,  so left it but it became apparent the next day I had done something more that just over done it . So after an X-ray and being relived I hadn't broken anything,  I was give a splint and told I probably had either damaged the tendons or the ligaments, so for the last week I have been painting in a splint.  I didn't think it would make a difference as I had full use of my fingers but it definitely hindered any detailed painting or drawing, so perfect for what I had wanted to achieve.  So with long paint brushes and think paint,  I painted away for three days.

I have to admit to being surprised how long it took as I expected it to be quicker,  but I was totally frustrated with not being able to hold the brushes how I wanted and I would have loved to have added more detail.


For what I wanted to achieve it was a good exercise and I am not totally displeased with the result,  but to be honest with you, its just not me,  I have learnt a couple of tricks about technique and brush holding so very worth while,  but not something I would repeat in a hurry.  But thats what its all about really isn't it,  experimenting to find what works for you and what doesn't and I like to push myself out of my comfort zone once in a while.


On the other hand I love doing the next Tulip painting.  This one was on glass this time and I loved the whole process,  from mixing the pigment with gum arabic and water to the actual painting.  I liked the painterly effect that I got from thinning the paint and the delicate texture for laying down the pigment and then scraping away.  Flooding and line drawing were also added to give an overall effect. The whole piece was then fired to make it permanent.  I have also learnt that I can't photograph glass,  so I will have to ask Mr WD, for some help.



So after all that excitement I also had a lovely meeting with Sharon at the Blue Room in Nailsea.    She agreed to take my work in to sell and also I will be teaching some basic painting and drawing sessions for her. Just enough to keep my hand in,  but not so much that it overwhelms me again.


So here I am with my first painting just having been hung.


The Blue room is  a very interesting enterprise,  incorporating lots of yummy, local arts and crafts,  but also trying to engage the community in creative tasks.  So hence the teaching,

For those of you interested in learning to draw and paint, or any other creative task check out Sharons' website for more details 



No comments:

Post a Comment