Thursday, February 3, 2011

Falling into the same old trap...


Do you find you always keep making the same mistakes over and over again? Well perhaps its just me!!!
I am enjoying painting again, I don't mean a little bit I mean REALLY enjoying it, I started with the ACEOs and I did really well. I wasn't interested in selling I just loved doing them. Then I painted bigger and wow, I can't get enough of splashing the paint around and experimenting, not always successful, but then thats the point isn't it! Isn't it????
They started to sell and very well too and here I am so desperate to get out of my dead end boring rut of a job, I started to think this was it, I could push and realise my life long ambition and work for myself. So the last few weeks I keep churning the little ACEOs out and keep listing them, whether I am happy with them or not, craving the next sale and the next...
Then these last couple of days it hit me, this is not what I want, where's the joy of that! If I carried on promoting and selling and just making them to make money that then just makes another boring dead end job and a few months down the line I will be looking for something new, as always in my head the grass will be greener, elsewhere! This is always my problem, never being in the here and now, always trying to push into something that I think will be better, but it never is!
So what's the plan, well actually there isn't one. I have been an unsuccessful planner, so nows the time to change. However I do know I don't want to just churn any old rubbish out, just to make a bit of money. So from now on it wont get listed unless I think its good. I will continue experimenting and painting and try and take it where it wants to go instead of forcing it to go where I think it will make me the most profit. If it sells, brilliant, if not I will try not to care and just continue to try to stay in the here and now and love what I am doing.

4 comments:

  1. Don't think about ditching your job just yet if that's how you feel.
    At the moment, you are in a position where at least you can come home and do something you love,rather than turning your love into a chore. Keep your little rehab as what it is for a healthy balance, otherwise you'll find yourself in a position where your relaxing glass of wine on a saturday night turns into life- destroying alcoholism.
    If you could turn your glass of wine into a job as wine taster- that would be ideal, but might require a bit more time.
    I'd love for you to be able to manage the big jump, you are so talented and creative, I am sure you have it in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my... that comes across totally wrong. I meant the glass of wine as an illustration of your situation, and not to say you'll turn into an alcie if you quit your job! Aw... I am so daft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Lisbonlioness I did understand don't worry,
    I totally agree with you, but its just hard staying in a job you hate and as I have moved jobs a lot I know it will be the same old rubbish wherever I go, I am so desperate to get out, I may just have to sell my soul to the devil....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to wanting to be a painter. My own thoughts are that it would feel like a chore if chased sales, and possibly fruitless. But in my experience as a photographer, i've found that some photos sell better than others i personally like better. It's pretty subjective. So my advice would be to sell everything, but not to chase sales.

    ReplyDelete